Benefits of Sunflower oil for Weight Loss
Use of Sunflower cooking oil is much into trend in recent years. The reason being it's extra-ordinary health benefits over other dietary fats. Sunflower oil is extracted from the seeds of the sunflower. I have observed many a times, people relating sunflower oil to prevention of heart problems! But honestly speaking, sunflower cooking oil has much more goodness than just preventing the heart diseases! All the benefits of the oil clearly makes it one of the major ingredients of your diet for weight loss. Below listed properties would explain you the health benefits of the oil and also help you to understand sunflower oil weight loss relationship.
So, let's discuss some frequently asked questions about sunflower cooking oil...
How to select sunflower cooking oil, are there any varieties?
Well! There are three different forms of sunflower oil and any one may be preferred:
Linoleic Sunflower oil: It is rich in vitamin E and linoleic acids. Vegetable oils rich in linoleic acid, that is,polyunsaturated fat (presence of two or more double bonds) are known to decrease the bad cholesterol and prevent cardiac diseases. But this oil is found to be unstable when used for frying at high temperatures. This oil may be safely used after hydrogenation (a process used to convert the structure of vegetable oils into saturated fat kind of structure).
Oleic Sunflower oil: If the oil contains more than 80% oleic acid, it is called, Oleic Sunflower oil. It contains more of monounsaturated (presence of a single double bond) fatty acids. High oleic acid in diet can improve your complete lipid profile.
NuSun Sunflower oil: It is a mid-oleic sunflower oil prepared from plants particularly bred for stable oil without hydrogenation. It tastes good and also provides all health benefits as the other two oils.
But why should I prefer sunflower oil over other fats?
The chemical bonding present in sunflower oil is weak. It is easily broken down during metabolism. But saturated fats (such as butter) are not easily broken down in the body. They are carried away by the blood to different parts of the body and get deposited there. This may lead to cardiac diseases, joint pain and other diseases.
On the other hand, the fatty acids present in sunflower oil are known to reverse this process and maintain a healthy heart. This property makes it a good oil for weight loss.
How can I benefit from including sunflower oil in weight loss meal plan?
Here are some of the advantages of using sunflower oil in your daily cooking:
- Sunflower oil is very low in saturated fats and hence lowers the risk of heart attacks, reduces bad cholesterol and manages blood pressure due to the phytosterols present in it.
- Among all vegetable oils, sunflower oil is the richest in vitamin E (an essential antioxidant). Daily consumption drops the rate of cardiac diseases by almost 40%.
- The phytosterols present in this oil protect the body cells from the cancer causing radicals.
- Being rich in vitamin E, it reduces rheumatoid arthritis due to it's anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps control asthma.
- The magnesium present in this oil prevents muscle cramps, migraine headache, heart attack and stroke.
- It is light, odorless and low in saturated fat. It may be used for frying, baking and in salad dressings as a healthy option.
- Food cooked in this oil remains healthy and fresh for consumption for a much longer time. It is much stable as compared to other cooking oils.
- Sunflower oil provides you all the essential fatty acids.
- It also helps in the production of serotonin which helps relax the brain and induce sound sleep.
- It improves the red blood cell (RBC) count which is vital for oxygen transport in the body.
- It prevents frequency of hot flashes in women undergoing menopause.
- Massage with sunflower oil will grant you a soft, glowing and younger looking skin.
Are there any side effects associated with consumption of sunflower oil?
About 10-15g sunflower oil per day is safe and forms a part of healthy diet to lose weight. Excess of anything is always bad, similarly, over consumption of polyunsaturated fatty acids has a few detrimental effects:
- Damage the arteries and cause a heart attack or stroke.
- Cause high blood pressure leading to kidney damage.
- Obesity and joint pain.
- May cause breast cancer in women and prostrate cancer in men.
Sunflower cooking oil is one of the best oil for therapeutic as well as regular cooking. Go, get your health back!